This article is part of an Essential Guide, our editor-selected collection of our best articles, videos and other content on this topic. Explore more in this guide:
2. - Automation and mobile inventory benefits of WMS technologies: Read more in this section
- Automate the warehouse with M2M
- Improve warehouse automation with RFID
- Mobility gives warehouses real-time view of inventory
- Automating the warehouse? Consider robotics
- WMS case study
Explore other sections in this guide:
- 1. - Technologies changing the face of warehouse management systems
- 3. - WMS technology trends and innovations
- 4. - Quiz
The SearchManufacturingERP.com IT Challenge of the Month for February 2013:
My company is exploring the idea of adding robotics to our warehouse for automated material handling and picking. Can you offer any advice for examining our robot readiness? Are there any specific areas of our business we should be looking at before making that switch?
Do you have a solution to this challenge? Have you encountered a similar issue at your business? If so, please contact the SearchManufacturingERP.com editors and share your suggestions or experiences.
IT Challenge respondents will receive a free copy of a new book from SAP Press.
And be sure to check back here all this month -- we'll be posting solutions from experts and readers as we receive them.
From industry expert and author Steve Phillips:
While many of the warehouse redesign efforts occur during the implementation of an automated material handling systems, early preparation in the areas of product and location identification and labeling, warehouse space planning and internal network bandwidth, as well as getting employees in the warehouse involved with the change as early as possible, all help avoid headaches and delays later on.